Chocolate Lovers Dream with these Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
If you are craving something that is chocolaty and will knock your socks off, try these Heavenly Double Chocolate Banana Muffins. It’s a rainy day at my house and I have been searching the cub bards for some chocolate. As I was searching I realized that I had 3 ripe banana’s that needed tended to. So, I whipped up these amazing and Heavenly Double Chocolate Banana Muffins.
I need to back up a little and give a little history on my husband and I. Doug and I have been married for 14 years and we have a little running joke. I always buy bananas and tell him not to throw them out because I am going to make banana bread. He always laughs and says, “yeah right.” Then several days pass and I end up throwing them out without making anything banana related. Of course, he always asks me “where is that banana bread you were going to make???” I just laugh at him. I have made banana bread and muffins over the years, but not near as often as I purchase them and let them ripe only to toss them out! Recently, I learned you can toss your ripened bananas into the freezer and this will help me not waste them.
Okay back to these delicious double chocolate muffins! Now these are very rich muffins, so you can usually get by eating just one. I like to change the recipe up here and there. They are very good if you replace the chocolate chips with peanut butter chips. You can also add walnuts or pecans to have that little bit of a crunch. I like to add applesauce to the recipe, because I love how moist it makes them. If you aren’t a fan of the applesauce you can always exchange it for the same amount of oil. (1/2 cup) Make whatever changes you like and fall in love with these Heavenly Double Chocolate Banana Muffins.
- 3 medium ripened bananas
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce (or oil if you would rather)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 c. flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa (I prefer Hershey's)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup chocolate chips Semi-sweet (reserve 1/4 cup for topping muffins)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash bananas.
- Mix bananas, brown sugar, applesauce, vanilla and beaten egg.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix.
- Add 1 cup chocolate chips.
- Line muffin tin with cupcake liners and fill 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 15 - 17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.