Amazing Sausage Stuffed Jumbo Shells Recipe
Enjoy Italian food heaven with this Sausage Stuffed Shells Recipe. You can’t go wrong with this delicious recipe. The spices and sauce blend well and leave you begging for more.
Lasagna is a favorite in our household, but sometimes we want something a little different. Once we were invited to some friends house for dinner and the hostess served us Sausage Stuffed Shells. I immediately fell in love at the very first bite. The sausage just takes the pasta dish to a whole new level. My mouth is watering, just thinking about it!
The Sausage Stuffed Shells Recipe has become a staple in our home. We make sure to keep it in our rotation of regular meals.
Make the Sausage Stuffed Shells Recipe as a Freezer Meal
Finding freezer meals that actually taste good can sometimes be difficult. I recommend if you plan to use it as a freezer meal, to make sure and thaw it properly or it will take forever to cook. I made the mistake of taking out of the freezer at lunch and trying to cook it for supper and it was sort of a disaster! Best case scenario is to place it in the fridge the night before you plan to bake it.
It is a great meal gift! The Sausage Stuffed Shells are also a wonderful meal for someone who just had a baby, a college kid or someone who had a death in the family recently. They can eat it right way or toss it in the freezer for an easy meal later on. Plus, this meal is a little different that the normal casseroles and regular lasagna’s people normally give. People love this meal, so except lots of compliments and people asking for the recipe.
The thing I love the most about this Sausage Stuffed Shells Recipe (besides the sausage) is the cheese! I love the cottage cheese with the mozzarella and the Parmesan all together. Cheese is literally one of my favorite foods ever. With this recipe, there is plenty of that gooey and delicious cheese to go around.
You can really personalize these by adding or omitting any of the ingredients. You could add other kinds of cheese, mushrooms, black olives or even diced tomatoes. The options are endless!
Sausage Stuffed Shells Recipe
- 20 - 25 Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 1/2 lbs. sausage
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 - 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 (12 oz.) can of tomato paste
- 1 (14 oz.) can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups cottage cheese
- 1 (16 oz.) package of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Boil pasta in large pot with water and add salted butter (to prevent sticking). Cook for 5-7 minutes. You want pasta to remain slightly firm and not mushy.
- Brown sausage, onions and garlic cloves. Drain meat.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt, oregano and garlic powder. Simmer for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Beat eggs in mixing bowl.
- Add cottage cheese, 3/4 of the mozzarella, parmesan cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Once shells have finished cooking, add spoonfuls of the cheese mixture to shells.
- Place them in 9 x 13 pan.
- Pour sausage mixture over the top and bake for 25 - 35 minutes.
Give These Other Recipes a Try Too!
Stuffed Shells with Ground Beef is always something that is a crowd pleaser in our home! I try to add a little healthy to it by adding in some spinach! It is a great way to get some of your greens and still enjoy a very hearty meal! Adam is a huge meat lover so I can’t have a meal without some meat! I love to add ground hamburger to this, but you can also substitute with turkey or even sausage! Both will still go really well with the meal!
Now these are a little bit time consuming as you have to stuff each shell, but it is worth it in the end! I get tired of the basic spaghetti or lasagna, and want to switch it up at times! When I am feeling fearless I dive into making these stuffed shells with ground beef and spinach!
Ground Beef and Spinach Stuffed Shells
I love to use cottage cheese in my recipe, but you are welcome to use ricotta cheese, it is totally whatever you prefer taste wise! We grew up with cottage cheese in our pasta’s so I prefer that. As for pasta sauce, you can use homemade or just grab a jar of your favorite one. Right now we are using the Ragu Mushroom, it is my go to! I need to get on making up my own, and then freezing it to have on hand!
Stuffed Shells with Ground Beef and Spinach Recipe
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 - 24 oz cottage cheese
- 1 - 16 oz box of jumbo shells
- 1 large jars of spaghetti sauce
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded spinach (can use fresh but I use frozen)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- First off preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta shells as directed on the box. Put hamburger and cook it up, ground.
- In a 9x15 pan add about 1/2 the pasta sauce to the bottom of the pan and set aside.
- While that is cooking mix your eggs, cottage cheese, shredded spinach and 1 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup parmesan.
- Once your hamburger gets done you will add in the ground beef and mix well.
- Drain pasta when done cooking and let cool a little, once able to handle without burning yourself, start to stuff the shells with the mixture.
- Once all your shells are stuffed and in the pan you can then add the rest of the jar of sauce all over pasta. Top with the remaining shredded mozzerella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, then remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
I had leftover noodles, I went ahead and filled them and put them in an 8x8 dish for another meal. You can either serve it up then, or assemble and then just freeze for a meal later on. Don't cook in the oven if you will freeze, just do all the steps like you would bake it then wrap it up and store in freezer.
The steps do take a little time, but really it is pretty easy to make. It is a nice change for sure from the basic pasta and sauce recipes we have do regularly! I hope you all enjoy this recipe, and make sure to check out some other ones we have.
Other Tasty Recipes to Try Out:
Pasta Salad Lovers- Try this Bacon Bowtie Pasta Salad today!
Pasta salads are a hit in our house, my husband just loves them! So I try to mix it up and do different flavor combos in our salads. This is a really tasty bacon bowtie pasta salad, and it has tomatoes and onions in it! His all time favorite is the Italian Pasta Salad, it is my go to salad. This salad has a whole new flavor combo to please your palate!
This bacon bowtie pasta salad has a nice crunch of bacon, tomatoes and a tangy sauce! I like to serve this with some garlic bread, it really pairs nicely I think. We love bacon in our house, so if it has bacon it will most likely get ate.
Corelle Livingware Fun Packs 5 Pieces Winter Frost WhiteApril Cornell Blue and White Napkins, Set of 4
If you are interested, here are the classic white bowls, that can be used to serve out of, similar to these! They are fun, and I love the crisp white of them, it really just makes the pasta salad pop! It lets the pasta be the star, and that is what I love! The napkins I have pictured above are very similar, if you are interested in them as well!
Bowtie Pasta Salad – Great for PotLucks!
Bacon Bowtie Pasta Salad Recipe – Crowd Pleasing Delicious!
- 1 16-ounce box bowtie pasta
- 1 16-ounce package of bacon
- 1 large tomato, diced (appx. one cup)
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse in cool water and drain well. Set aside.
- Chop the bacon in small pieces and brown it in a large skillet. When the bacon is crisp, drain on paper towels and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta, bacon, tomatoes, mayonnaise, green onion, vinegar, and milk. Mix thoroughly to combine. Reserve a few of the green onions for garnish, if desired.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to taste. At this point you can also add more mayonnaise and/or vinegar to your liking.
- Serve immediately or cover and allow to chill in the refrigerator.
As it sits in the refrigerator, it may absorb some of the dressing, so you may need to add more mayonnaise and/or vinegar before serving.
This recipe really is pretty easy to whip up, I love the ease of it. The vinegar and mayo dressing has a nice tangy flavor to it, which is paired nicely with tomatoes and bacon. Plus you can never go wrong with bowtie pasta, it is so pretty and really adds a fun style to salads. If you don’t like green onions you can always leave them out, that is no problem. The green just adds a pretty garnish look.
Light and Refreshing Take to Spring Rolls!
Spring is here and Summer is on the horizon and in that I want light and fresh meals, like this quick and easy shrimp spring bowl! This is a fun new take to the classic spring rolls! No struggle messing with rice paper, just use rice noodles! They are so delicious I seriously can’t get enough of them! Our local Chinese has them and it is a must have when we eat there!
As you can see this is a gorgeous meal, and also very fresh! I love the veggies on the side, you are welcome to chop them up smaller so they are bite size if you don’t want them in bigger chunks. For this recipe I used the smaller shrimp, it works wonderful for salads. If you have fresh shrimp on hand feel free to use that!
Quick And Easy Shrimp Spring Bowl
- 1/2 cup small (salad) shrimp, cooked and cleaned.
- 1 cup rice noodles
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced
- 1 large carrot, washed and sliced
- 4 large pieces of romaine lettuce, chopped
- *3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- *1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- (*Note: Can substitute with Sweet and Sour Sauce*)
- Prepare rice noodles as directed, rinse with cold water, and drain.
- Add the rice noodles to a bowl.
- Add lettuce, carrots, avocado, and shrimp to the top of the noodles.
- In a small bowl, mix together sweet chili sauce and fish sauce. (Skip this step if substituting)
- Pour sauce over prepared bowl, and enjoy.
So as you can see this is super quick to whip up, and of course this is something that is great to save and eat the next day. Just keep the items separate and then create another bowl when you are wanting more! You can 100% play around with the veggies you want to add to it. If you don’t like something keep it out and feel free to replace it with something different. Just keep in mind the sauce and think what could go good with it.
If you are interested in the fun bowl and spoon like I have here, I will link some below that are similar! They really make a fun presentation to the meal! They are fun to have on hand when you are hosting a party, or just want some fun dinnerware to match your delicious meal like this!
Is this a meal you think you would enjoy!?
A Delicious Lasagna Recipe you can use over and over!
We are huge lasagna lovers at our house and I have been making The Best Easy Lasagna Recipe for years! I tried to think back to when I first came across this recipe, but I have been making it so long I can’t even remember! It is perfect for our household of picky eaters!
I would like to point out that in this photo I show a 3 lb. package of hamburger. I did brown all 3 lbs. so I could use the other 2 lbs. for other meals. I like to freeze it and use it for quick dinners. One of my favorite things about this recipe is that you can make it ahead of time and put it in the refrigerator or freezer and bake it later! This can also make a great gift. This is perfect if you are looking for a meal that you can give someone that they can bake at their convenience. I do this for families who have just had a baby or someone who has lost a loved one. If you want to freeze it, just cover it with aluminum foil and put it in an aluminum pan with the lid. I always write the directions for temperature and time on the plastic lid. This way if it’s a gift they don’t have to figure it out on their own. You will want to make sure to thaw it really well before baking!
The other great thing I want to mention about this recipe is how versatile it is! If you like to add some extra items like onions, peppers, mushrooms or olives you can always add them in. Feel free to adjust this recipe to meet your families needs. To make a complete meal you can add a nice garden side salad, garlic bread or some fresh fruit.
I don’t know if you are as obsessed with Ree Drunmmod as much as I am, but the plate you see in this photo is from the Pioneer Women Dinnerware Set. I LOVE these dishes and couldn’t keep it a secret! Now it’s time to enjoy your tasty dinner!
The Best Easy Lasagna Recipe
- 16 ounce container of cottage cheese
- 16 ounce bag of mozzarella cheese
- can of petite cut diced tomatoes
- 1 jar of pasta sauce (whatever your preference)
- lasgna noodles
- 1 lb. of browned hamburger
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Begin by browning your hamburger and adding salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain hamburger and put in a large bowl.
- Add the cottage cheese, diced tomatoes and pasta sauce.
- Mix all the ingredients together.
- Take approximately 3/4 cup of the sauce mixture and spread on the bottom of a 13 x 9 pan.
- Then place a layer of lasagna noodles. (uncooked, you do NOT have to use oven ready noodles)
- Put another layer of sauce and then cover with a layer of mozzarella cheese.
- Continue layers until you run out of ingredients.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is bubbly and slightly brown.